This is a website to bring together those who have connections to both Australia and The Netherlands, through my own perspective of living as a dual national Dutch Australian.
My name is Renee Veldman-Tentori and here is a brief history of the links between myself and my two countries:
- 1975 I was born in Australia (to parents with Italian/British heritage)
- 2001 Met a Dutch backpacker on Fraser Island
- 2002 Moved to UK, met up with “the Dutch backpacker” in London
- 2003 Moved to The Netherlands and began my Dutch integration
- 2005 Bas and I married in Schagen, Noord Holland
- 2006 Became a dual national Dutch Autralian
- 2007 Our first little Dutch Australian born: Sophia
- 2007 Moved to Brisbane, Australia
- 2009 Our second little Dutch Australian born: Isabella
- 2012 Moved (back) to The Netherlands
I feel that regardless of whether we are living in Australia or The Netherlands, our family will always have a strong connection with both countries and want to celebrate that via this website and by growing this community.
Are you a Dutch Australian?
There are many thousands of Dutch Australians out there, are you one? Some emigrated to Australia many years ago, or a lot more recently. Or you may be an Australian living in The Netherlands. There are many marriages between Dutch and Australians and I’ve found the couples/families often spend parts of their lives between the two countries. You could also be from The Netherlands and studying or working here in Australia short or long term. Perhaps you’re a second generation Dutch Australian looking to connect to your heritage.No matter what your specific situation is, I find it fascinating to celebrate the links between our two countries and you can find many examples to explore on this site.
A note on language
As I’m a native English speaker, this website is written predominately in English. I have followed an integration and Dutch language course and am fairly fluent in het Nederlands – I can read and speak fairly well and am happy to have emails and website contributions in het Nederlands. However if I was to write this website in Dutch it would be very difficult for anyone to understand or for me to express myself very well! I do hope to improve my Dutch language skills though so look out for posts on this topic